Sunday, May 12, 2013

¡Feliz Día de las Madres!

Mother's day is actually a really big celebration here in Cusco. Fireworks have been going off since about 5:30am this morning. So many people we're at church with their mothers. At least that's what they told me when I asked why the cathedral was so full. And it seems every electronic store has some great special for cellphones guaranteeing nothing but the clearest calls back home to mom. While, I did get to talk to my mom today, back at the Healing House we had a special girls day complete with all-natural facials and chocolate. And of course, we made a sign special to take pictures with and send back to mom.

Hi mom! I hope you had a wonderful day! I love you and I miss you already!
That's not all I've done so far! Just yesterday, I got to participate in my first special creative kids program, and that was a total blast. We recorded a music video with the kids all dressed up and marching through the streets, also to help raise awareness about our arts and music programs. It was really fun to get to observe how the kids acted and played through out the class. Next week, I'll be leading a chorus class with them, and soon I'll be teaching my own regular music class.

I've really enjoyed the past few days here, getting to know everyone and finding my way around town. I've had my bumps in the road so far, getting lost for a bit and struggling with my Spanish vocabulary. Still, the Cusqueños I've met have been really great and most know at least some English because of how many tourists come through here.

Well, that's all for now. More updates soon!

¡Hasta luego!

Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment