Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Just call me Sylv Master Fresh

Okay, okay. I know what you're thinking. Yes, I'm really that cool. Here's why:

leftover diced potatoes, fried sweet potatoes, onions, greens, and sliced apple
salad with caramelized onions, carrots, quinoa , and avocado
whole wheat pasta with sauteed chard, tomato, and oregano cheese
salad with quinoa, carrot, pomegranate, and avocado
These creations are all mine, I'll have you know. I feel quite happy with my progress as a cook. Part of harnessing your creativity happens in the kitchen. It's about feeling out the ingredients you have and deciding what you think will pair well. Because I have all those vegetables, I just make a lot of stir fry, soup, and salad. Still, some things you might not expect work really well together, like sliced apple in your with your hash browns or pomegranate in your salad. 

I've gotten a lot of inspiration from Sarah, another one of the volunteers here, who after hearing about my giant vegetable bag decided she'd like to split it with me. I admit that was really awesome, for two reasons. Not only is it now a lot easier now for me to get through my veggies before they wilt, but Sarah actually knows what she's doing in the kitchen. After all, her Strawberry Oatmeal bars did win our baking contest. And check out this creation of hers:


And that's not even her very best. So, I'm so excited to keep on trying different things and learning from the others here.

Well, I'll keep ya posted!

Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment